．The enacted Operational Directions were promulgated by Decree of the Ministry of the Interior Tai-Nei-Yi-Tzu No. 0970900420 on August 26th, 2008
．The amendment was promulgated by Decree of the Ministry of the Interior Tai-Nei-Yi-Tzu No. 1000939758 on September 7th, 2011
．The amendment was promulgated by Decree of the Ministry of the Interior Tai-Nei-Yi-Tzu No. 1030952387 on June 30th, 2014
．The amendment was promulgated by Decree of the Ministry of the Interior Tai-Nei-Yi-Tzu No. 10409532902 on July 9th, 2015
1. The Directions are enacted by the Ministry of the Interior to process the applications for the Academic and Business Travel Card (hereinafter referred to as “the Card”) and to facilitate the expedited immigration clearance for the cardholders at the airports of entry/Exit in the R.O.C. (Taiwan).
2. Foreign visitors who wish to enter the country for purposes other than employment and meet one of the following qualifications may apply for this card:
(1) Being a Nobel Laureate or an equivalent award winner.
(2) Being the first place winner of an internationally recognized contest, sports game or appraisal, or being an academic or businessman with international prestige.
(3) Being an academician, a highly qualified expert, or a scholar at a foreign national research institute.
(4) Being a tenured professor at a university and having received life achievement awards.
(5) A Person who has received an international academic award, or been an author of written important specialized books, engaged in research at research institutes or conducted technical researches and development or management work at technical institutes for four years or more, and has one of the following qualifications.
A: Being a current or former adjunct professor, professor, associate professor, or assistant professor either in domestic or foreign universities;
B: Being a researcher, associate researcher, or having a doctorate degree and working at research institutes.
(6) Being an athlete who has been ranked top three in an Olympic Game or has won the first place in an Asian Game, or has ever coached a national sports team whose members have ever been ranked among the top five in a contest of an Olympic Game or top three in an Asian Game.
(7) Being a senior manager of a foreign company that has invested over US$ 100 million or the senior manager of the overseas parent company or regional headquarters of such a company, or a foreign investor or senior manager who has the potential of making an investment of over US$100 million.
(8) Being a professional specialist with expertise in one of the ten major Service Industries, four major Emerging Intellectual Industries, and six major Emerging Industries currently being emphasized or promoted by the R.O.C. government.
(9) Being an academic or businessman who has made special contributions to Taiwan’s academic or economic development and having filed an ad hoc application.
The above-mentioned applications shall be filed by applicants in person, or by the competent authorities in charge of related business on behalf of the applicants, or by the inviting parties who recommended such applicants.
3. The following documents shall be submitted to the National Immigration Agency of the Ministry of the Interior (hereinafter referred to as “the NIA”) to apply for the Card:
(1)An application form
(2)A photocopy of the passport (which has remaining validity for at least 6 months), and relevant documentary proof;
(3) A recommendation letter
(4)Two passport photographs with no hat which were taken within the past 12 months;
(5)If the applicant is not qualified, his/her application shall be rejected and returned.
4. The NIA, after receiving an application for the Card, shall forward the photocopied application form and relevant documents to the competent authorities in charge of related business and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) respectively for review; unless the central competent authorities in charge of related business has filed the application on behalf of the applicant and has sent the copies to the MOFA at the same time in accordance with sub-item 2 of Item 2 of the Directions.
5. The card is valid for five years and its holder can make multiple entries and exit while the card remains valid. Each stay is good for up to 90 days and not extendable. During their stay in Taiwan, the cardholders are permitted to participate in academic or business activities such as fulfilling contracts, giving speeches and performing commercial or technical consultant. The card is void after its expiration date, an application for a new card should be submitted if need.
6.Cardholders with passports may use Express Clearance Lines. Accompanying spouses and blood Relatives may also use Express Clearance Lines.
7. If the Card is missing or damaged when it is still valid, the cardholder may apply for a replacement. The expiry date of the replacement shall be the same as that of the previous Card.